Sparky Shooting Star
Friends of Thunder
Church of the Blue Star
Sacred White Buffalo
Mary and the Crystal Skulls
Sacred Stone People's Lodge
Words of Peace
Sat. Night Stone People Lodge
Sweat Lodge:What To Bring
Women's Sweat Lodge
Please Do Not Bring
- Please do not bring pets
- Please absolutely no alcoholic beverages or drugs allowed
- It is good to call ahead to see what may be needed and get there
that you can partake of the whole ceremony!
- Tobacco (Bugle Boy, Native Spirit Preferred) as an offering to the Pourer
To help keep our minds on prayer we are asked to be modest
and to keep ourselves
- Bathing suits and towel
- Food to share
- The sharing of Food is always a part of the ceremony
- Light & healthy fare is good
- Meals are a combined effort of those participating, as well as
clean up afterwards.
- At Thunder Ranch we always appreciate those that bring
of staples, such as:
- Garbage bags
- Toilet tissue
- Paper goods
- Cooking oil, etc.
- To help keep our minds on prayer we are asked to be modest and to keep ourselves
clothed (bathing suits and towel or muumuu).
- Menstruating women do not participate in this ceremony. Ancient law
explains that it is during this special time that women are cleansed by nature. It
is a woman's own time to be with herself for meditation, for centering, and for becoming
close with the Earth.
- The mound of dirt outside the lodge is the altar. It is sacred and
powerful. Please do not touch any objects you see on it, and please be respectful
anywhere around it.
- Please give your full attention and respect to the medicine person who is
conducting the ceremony; he/she knows the ceremony and will lead you in it. Listen
to what is being asked of you and what is being prayed for. If you are invited to
make a prayer or offer a chant, do so. However, remember that there will be 20 or
more other people in the lodge with you, all of them wanting to pray too, so do not offer
a sermon or soliloquy when you are asked to share. It can get VERY HOT during a
round if 10 out of 20 people all offer a five-minute prayer.
- Fasting before a ceremony is very beneficial and will heighten awareness.
If you are too hot in the lodge, keep your face to the ground and breathe in the coolness
of the Earth, let go of what may be holding you back, and pray hard. Within the
sweat lodge, when you are offered water to drink, remember this is the life blood of the
Earth Mother, and feel its healing energy flowing through you. The length of the
ceremony can vary greatly depending upon the leader and the participants. Let Spirit
guide you and the sweatlodge leader!
- After leaving the lodge it is best to rinse your body to wash away the toxins
you have released and to close your pores. Also after the ceremony, give yourself a
quiet space before you go back to the group. Relax and meditate.
- Absolutely no alcoholic beverages or drugs allowed.
- If you have to wait for your lodge to begin, please be patient, and use the time
to consider what you want to release and what prayers you would make for yourself, your
loved ones, your Earth Mother and your relations upon Her. This can be a very
powerful healing ceremony.